The body and the soul are traditionally perceived as separate entities within Western culture. However, Beate Peter will argue that dance has the potential to unite them. Drawing on Carl Gustav Jung, who distinguishes between personal unconscious and collective unconscious, she will argue that dance allows us to access our collective unconscious and consequently, a more fully discovered self.
Accessing the unconscious through dance is commonly practised within tribal societies, particularly in shamanic dances, in which a demon is thought to speak through an individual who is being possessed. In such a case, the dancer could be seen as expressing an internal voice, for example their own self and soul, rather than an external demonic force. Dance provides an opportunity to discover our self more completely, embracing the unconscious part of our identities through the physicality of our bodies.
Peter’s research in electronic dance music argues the same. Electronic music facilitates this kind of dance-discovery. Its musical features allow the release of emotions within a community of dancers, where the body becomes the soul, and the individual becomes the collective.
Venue: Texture MCR, Northern Quarter
Doors: 7pm / Talk starts: 7.30pm.
Tickets here: bit.ly/2s0e7r3
Here are some other talks we are sure you might LOVE:
1. MCR Talks @ Night | The Science of Psychedelics: bit.ly/2nEzpMt
2. MCR Talks @ Night |How the Mind Heals your Body: bit.ly/2nECxbi
3. MCR Talks @ Night || What makes you YOU? bit.ly/2o9fcvY
4. MCR Talks at Night: Build Confidence and Gain Clarity: bit.ly/2qWx0eA
5. MCR Talks at Night: is your Dog Misunderstood? bit.ly/2pPDZK5
6. MCR Talks @ Night| Donald Trump's Scandal: bit.ly/2rhC5Cx