In recent months, Manchester, and in particular its city centre homeless community has been at the forefront of national and international news headlines. These headlines, often including terms such as ‘walking dead’ and ‘zombies’ and accompanied with disturbing images of users in catatonic or ‘frozen’ states as a result of using ‘Spice’ (synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists) have brought stigma to the city and the homeless community.
This talk attempts to get behind the headlines and sets out to inform and educate the audience about spice. Drawing on 20 years of research on drug use and drug markets, Dr Rob Ralphs, a Criminologist from Manchester Metropolitan University, provides answers and opinions to pressing questions such as:
What is Spice?
Why has it become popular and so visible amongst vulnerable groups?
Why is it so dangerous?
What causes such extreme reactions?
What is in it?
What can be done to prevent its use?
In providing answers to these questions, the talk will explore the onset and motivations of Spice use. In particular, Rob will highlight the perversity of prohibition drug policy, illustrating how a range of criminal justice interventions and crime and disorder developments has fuelled the motivations for use and changed the drug market landscape.
Venue: Texture MCR, Northern Quarter
Doors: 7pm / Talk starts: 7.30pm.
Tickets here: bit.ly/2s2fQ0V
Here are some other talks we are sure you might LOVE:
1. MCR Talks at Night: is your Dog Misunderstood? bit.ly/2pPDZK5
2. MCR Talks @ Night|10 Commandments of Entrepreneurship: bit.ly/2v1TMGS
3. MCR Talks @ Night | MCR Zombies: Spice on the Streets: bit.ly/2tFXnXQ
4. MCR Talks @ Night | Is There a Psycho in Your Life? bit.ly/2v1wjG7
5. MCR Talks @ Night| Psychology of Conspiracy Theories: bit.ly/2v1mxn8
6. MCR Talks @ Night|UK Drug Gangs: 14 Years Undercover: bit.ly/2u1u6WJ
7. MCR Talks @ Night | Pimp Your Linkedin: bit.ly/2v0qIQv
8. MCR Talks @ Night| Weird Science: An Introduction: bit.ly/2uESOyp